Pages

Advertisement

How my relationship ended with Kelly

I was dating Kelly for about three weeks before I had to call it off.  Everything was great during the course of our short relationship.  She would often hang out at my place.  A typical day of us together usually involved us taking my sailboat out for a spin.  Maybe ordering some food or dining out.  Relaxing in my hot tub after a long day of fun.  Fantastic sex.  We had some great times together in the brief period that I knew her.  I never thought it would end.

Kelly came from a good background.  She had a supportive network of family and friends.  She was deeply religious and often went to church.  She was well raised and had a nice childhood.  All around she had a positive outlook on life and was content with who she was and where she came from.  I on the other hand, am a troubled man, from a very long and dark past.  I am able to hide it well and I try my hardest to leave my past in the past...  But it always comes out to haunt me when I least expect it to.

Shortly before I met Kelly I "obtained" some money. (allegedly illegally.) It was a relatively small amount, roughly thirty thousand dollars, in cash.  I took that money and used it to buy some pharmaceutical stocks.  I was very lucky in my purchase because after only one month I was able to sell my shares for just over nine hundred thousand dollars.  It turns out when you make that much money all at once, the IRS investigates you no matter how you've obtained it.  They didn't seem to mind that I had so much money, but they wanted me to prove where I got the initial seed money for my investment.  It turns out, saying I saved it, with little to no work history, throws up even more red flags.  After a few weeks of my lawyers fighting with the IRS they decided they had enough evidence to arrest me.  Soon after I was jailed and charged with one hundred and forty four felonies.

Now I came from a rough past and I'm used to getting arrested and dealing with the legal system.  I knew everything would turn out fine for me in the end as long as I kept my mouth shut.  Charging me with that many felony offenses told me that they didn't know what they were after, and they were hoping they would get lucky and stick me with at least one offense.  But it was going to take me time to get through it...  Time I had to spend in jail...  Time Kelly would notice I was missing...

When I got arrested I used my one phone call to call Kelly.  That was a tough call for me to make. She had no idea who I really was or where I came from.  She'd never been exposed to the seedy underbelly of society.  She never had to receive a call from an inmate.  I never wanted to involve her in this, but I felt that I owed her the truth, instead of just disappearing.  I called her and told her that I had gotten arrested.  She panicked.  I tried to comfort her, but that's hard to do over the phone.  I told her that I was going to be gone for a while. I told her not to worry about me. I told her to move on with her life and forget about me.  I told her everything.  She cried.  I felt so bad for involving her in my dilemma, but I owed her an explanation.  I owed her the truth, no matter how painful it was for her to hear.

I stayed in jail for about five months before all the charges were eventually dropped and I was released.  The IRS confiscated everything from me. My money. My house. My car. They even took my toothbrush.  I wanted to call Kelly when I was released, but I decided against it. I knew I could probably smooth things over with her, but I felt as if she deserved better than me. I felt as if she deserved a life that I couldn't provide for her. My decision not to call her did not come easily.  It was one of the hardest and most selfless things I've ever done, and even today, several years later, I still question my decision.





I'll always think of Kelly as, "the one that got away."

You can read about how I met Kelly here,
or you can read about our 1st date here.